Our purpose in Washington County is to promote literacy by providing free individualized reading and writing instruction to non-readers and low-level readers, and promoting conversational skills to the non-English speaking community.
TUTOR TRAINING WORKSHOPWould you like to help someone who is struggling to read?
How about boosting someone's confidence by helping them learn to speak English?
To become one of our Certified Volunteer Tutors, you need to:
1. Attend one of the following Orientations:
- Sept 12 - Literacy Council of Frederick, 110 E Patrick St, Fredertick, 10am - 11:15am.
- Sept 14 - Literacy Council of Frederick, 110 E Patrick St, Frederick. 7pm - 8:15pm
- Sept 30 - Washington Co Library, Western MD room, 6pm - 7:15pm
- Oct 7 - Washington Co Library, Western MD Room, 6pm - 7:15pm.
- Sept 19 & 26 - Literacy Council of Frederick, 110 E Patrick St. 6 - 9pm
- Oct 17 & 31 - Trinity Lutheran Church, 15 Randolph Ave, Hagerstown. 8:45am- - 3:15pm
YOU can make a difference in someone's life!
When you're ready to get started, just click the TUTORS tab at the top of this page, choose BECOMING A TUTOR and register.
The Literacy Council Tutor is a patient and caring volunteer who wants to help other adults improve their reading skills. If you can read and want to help others to learn, you can be a Tutor!
We currently have approximately 20 students in our Basic Literacy program and 18 in our ESL program. Here’s where you can learn how to become a student with us.
If you’d like to contribute using your credit or debit card, please click the "Donate" button below.
These agencies are able to assist you with the following services: literacy, education, social, medical, jobs and many other resources. Please click on "'Helpful Links' at the top of the page for more info.
We'd love to hear from you!
Our office is staffed on Tuesday and Thursday from 11am to 2pm. Please call us or click the link below to send an email.